Monday, December 27, 2010

The Post Holiday Leftovers... What to do? More Like What I did...

No matter what we all try to do we always end up with leftovers... Sometimes they are things we actually will want to reheat, like turkey and stuffing.  Usually, they aren't as glamorous or appealing to the eye after a night or two in the fridge.  So as a challege I have chosen the least eye catching ingredients to experiment with.  Unfortunately, I did not come up with this idea before we chose our Christmas dinner so that I could influence what I now am able to work with.  As may happen in many families we had a lot of family cheer on the 25th which made the next morning was a little rough... 

My first project included using the container with the leftover roasted white potatoes, whole caramelized onions and halved button mushrooms from the fridge.  These veggies certainly did not look appealing but I decided home fries were a necessity.  I diced the three veggie amigos and added them to a 12" Nonstick pan on the stove with 3 tbl butter, a pinch each of pepper, paprika, cayenne, old bay seasoning and garlic powder.  I made sure to coat the veggies in the butter and spice mixture, turning only when necessary to prevent over crisping the potatoes.  I added a little shredded Parmesan cheese before serving with a spiked ketchup.  Now potatoes do not make a breakfast alone...  So, I decided an omelet with some of the gouda and bell peppers from the previous nights appetizers, half of a leftover onion (diced) and some thinly sliced leftover roast beef.  Toast was provided by the left over baguette from the cheese plate.   Everybody that wanted breakfast got the same plate: Toast, Omelet, Home fries, Cold Roasted Pear Slices (salad topper) and Bacon (which my dad made long before any of us were up).

The only leftover I didn't use was the baby peas...  I am working that with all the left over roast beef... Maybe a Roast Beef Pot Pie?

Enjoy!
Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment